Sunday 2 January 2011

Art Matching

Matching is a fun activity which reinforces visual discrimination and concentration and which is an important prerequisite skill for reading and writing. We started this activity with LM long time ago and have progressed from simple picture-to-picture matching to matching shapes, letters, numbers, words, words to pictures, numbers to quantities, matching emotions, etc.


I ended up with so many sheets that I created a “Matching Book” which is, quite basically, an A4 folder where I would “mix and match” different sheets and which I would offer to LM as an activity to complete independently to keep her busy for a few precious minutes.

I recently added a few more picture-to-picture sheets which are, in fact, reproductions of famous masterpieces.


The idea came after I had bought this colouring book, which, to my disappointment, did not have any colour reproductions of the paintings. As I needed to procure full colour versions of the masterpieces for LM’s reference, I decided to double this as a matching activity.
These sheets will probably deserve a separate folder as I am planning to extend this activity in the future by turning this into title-to-painting and artist-to-painting matching activity. Another thought would be to take this idea and to create a few “I spy” tasks to find some details in the picture, but this, for now, is only at the “planning stage”.

No comments:

Post a Comment