Sunday 26 September 2010

“That depends a good deal on where you want to get to” (Cheshire Cat, “Alice in Wonderland”)

Last week I finally sat down and thought through all the areas I would like to cover in my “home-school” and made my current priority list. I felt that I was starting to lose the sight of the big picture as I easily get carried away by my and LM’s current favourite activities, which may not be necessarily the most important for LM at this stage.
The free X-Mind software came in handy as I could actually map out the main areas of focus and, as a result, I can now have my plan all on one page! It is not a curriculum, as this is all a bit too raw, it is simply a mind-map of the various areas which I would like to help my daughter develop. I have assigned a priority to each area to keep on track of what is most important.
My “map” so far covers (in the order of importance):
1.     Speech and Language Development;
2.     Social and Emotional Development;
3.     Play and Creative Development;
4.     Pre-Academic and Academic Learning;
5.     Motor Movement and Coordination;
6.     Right-Brain Development;
7.     Music;
8.     Art;
9.     Science.
I then broke each area into sub-areas, and then each sub-area into further specific lessons which we are currently working on and the lessons to be started soon.


This is far from being finished and is not set in stone, so I will be changing it as we go and as priorities change. But it is good to see where we want to get to!

2 comments:

  1. Although she does go to a state nursery for a few hours a week, LM has not reached the compulsory education age yet, so we are pretty flexible about our "curriculum" for the moment.

    ReplyDelete